Friday, August 26, 2005

Blog like an Egyptian?

I'm here! Though the beautiful sights of Munchen from my airplane made me want to stay in Germany, I have officially arrived in the heart of the Middle East. The view from the airplane surprised me in its overwhelming smoginess and juxtaposition of tall apartment buildings and then huge sand pits. No question Cairo is in the desert. I know that probably sounds dumb, but even if you know not to expect topsoil and trees, it still comes as a shock.
A few hours into my stay in Cairo I have already stared at a map looking for appropriate apartment-search zones with a friend of Jayanthi's in the apartment in which we will stay for one or two nights until we have our own place. (Jayanthi is a fellow UGA student who was here over the summer and is my wonderful tour guide). Like my first time in NYC, the neighborhood names are strange but quick to come- I already know that Zamalek is full of ipods and ambassadors, that Maadi is way too expensive for us, and Mohandesseen is on the western side of the Nile, whereas Garden City and Heliopolis are on the eastern side. And that is just the beginning! I wonder how long it will take me to develop that confidence that only comes from foreigners or outsiders that in reality still have no idea what is going on, but can at least pretend they do to newcomers.
Of course I have no idea what is in store for tomorrow, outside of plans to look for an apartment in an area known as Dokki across the Nile from the American University in Cairo. I'll elaborate on that process after I have actually gone through it- but I think it's kind of a door to door type bargaining thing.

I'm off to go to sleep- comments suggesting a good name would be much appreciated. The suggested names are Long Sleeves, Blog Like an Egyptian, and e-Papyrus.

Sincerely,

Uncreative titler.

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Jeremy? You were here! Where did you go?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Lars Gotrich said...

actually, "heyjude19" is none other than my mom. how cute. :)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Oh! I was wondering if HeyJude might be your mom... very cute. Actually, I was referring to the deleted comment- which from my page says it was left by FabulousNomads- which is Jeremy's website.

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home