Friday, October 21, 2005

Contributing Writer! My does that sound nice.

Well, I was waiting to post until I could give you a shiny and pretty link to our published article, which I am now able to do. However, we were all disappointed to note that somehow the final copy we sent them that we had all looked over, was published with several lines from an earlier draft mixed in. We're not sure whose fault this is, because we re-looked at the document we sent them and it didn't have those statements, but things always happen. So if you read it, just skip over the few lines about numbers and sexual abuse that state the same thing over again in a different way. boo! Oh well, regardless about the published state of the article, without the mistakes it is the most detailed article about the sit-in that is out there, and I learned so much from the project. I got to get an inside view of the world of a close-to- 70 year old woman who is 'retired' yet continues to teach and consult and write all hours of the day. Her apartment constantly has people coming in seeking advice or using her materials or working with her on a project. She's pretty amazing. The only downside about being at her house was her chain-smoking habit. I think a large part of this weekend's cold and stuffy head is a result of spending so much time at her house : )

Here is our article- in the way you would expect from a newspaper focused on social justice they gave it a dramatic headline from a quote that I took from the protest and the section I wrote. The opening paragraph wasn't written by us; our section starts with "Sudanese refugees..."
http://www.pambazuka.org/index.php?id=29957 Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen--looks like you seem to be doing pretty well in Cairo. I'm sure it's been quite an experience for you. Anyways, just checking in--it's been a while since we've talked. I've also got a travelogue going, www.nachde.net. Hope to hear from you soon!

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home