Thursday, December 08, 2005

And you thought I might give you recipes for Egyptian foods...

I've been to four different cooking classes set up by the Student Action for Refugee (STAR) club that I'm a part of, and on Tuesday night was the last one. I wrote down the recipes from all of the weeks, but there are some cultural barriers that make it a little difficult. I love how answers to questions on amounts make the African men and women struggle to describe things that they just "know", and how answers to how long it takes for a certain bread to rise will elicit answers that reference the climate and the season. I love it.

All of that to say that I finally got a recipe that I can write down for you that should be easy enough to follow!

This is a Burundian bread called Chapati Zamaji - don't quote me on those spellings.

Ingredients:
1/2 kilo wheat flour
3 eggs
tsp salt
Vegetable oil

Mix the flour with the eggs and enough water for it to gain a Pancake-like consistency. Make sure there are no clumps.

Have a hot skillet ready and ladle the batter on (just like a pancake or crepe), smoothing out the excess batter and sprinking a little bit of oil on, also smoothing it out. Bumps will begin to form. Flip over when you think it is ready and put a little bit of oil on the just-cooked side, too. It is done when everything is cooked through- on some of the pieces of bread the bumps had begun browning so I guess that is a good sign too.

Repeat until done with the batter!

Yummy. I have a text document with more recipes that you are welcome to if you want- just drop me an email and forgive the often vague directions.

Also, last call for postcards. Send me your address and I would love to send you something with a cute little Egyptian stamp on it. I really do love to write postcards and letters; I just don't have too many addresses, particularly for people who are in new places. Even if I don't know you I would still love to add to your stamp collection, so bring those addresses on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home