Thursday, September 22, 2005

How did I get back to the U.S.S.R ?.

In my Middle Eastern Comparative Politics class we were assigned to do a group project and presentation for 20% of our grade in small groups of 4-6. Apart from the teacher's inability to organize things or provide adequate information, I finally landed in a group that seemed perfect. We had been instructed that all groups must have Egyptian and American students in it, and I was lucky to get two wonderful, nice, and extremely motivated Egyptian girls, Nora and Soraya, and Ford, a 3rd year at Tufts from Charleston, SC (I swear I become more Southern every day- I was so excited about our shared "southerness" even though he's studying up north) .

The major issue facing every group was deciding on a topic. The broad categories were things like Gaza, Iraq, post-colonial Egypt, etc. Not very instructive for finding something that can properly be analyzed in 5 pages and a 15 minute presentation. My group was going to do something on the Egyptian elections and the teacher assistant suggested that we look at Tunisia, who had recently had their first multi-party election in Oct. 2004 and faced similar circumstances, like having the same leader since the 1980s, a mostly secular government, and so forth. When the four of us met today, we faced many more problems than I had expected. I was amused after the meeting because beforehand I was talking to Soraya, and learning about her years spent in London, time in the US, German high-school education, and thinking that we would probably work really well together on the project because our education seemed pretty compatible, apart from the fact that she had a much more European focus.

I should preface this next part by saying that I still feel good about our group and think we'll all work out our differences, but what I think I learned about all four of us in our meeting was much more about how we had been taught to research than about anything that separated us culturally, for these girls had had very westernized education and lived all over the place. Ford and I immediately latched on to the Tunisia-Egypt paper because we thought they had enough in common on a surface level that we could get really analytical with a particular aspect of the electoral process, such as political participation or opposition party access or transparency, etc. The girls hated the topic and were suggesting things like "Does Democracy work in the Middle East" or "Is there a possibility for a Middle Eastern Union" or "US inolvement in Egypt." All of which would be very fascinating, but we had some difficulties talking about the aspects of a five page paper that make this extremely difficult. They both said they knew all about Egypt and were fine with it, and one of the girls has a lot of knowledge about Iran, so she wanted to do that, but that Tunisia was a complete stranger to them.

I really don't mean to demean their suggestions or imply that Ford and I knew what we should do and they didn't, because their excitement and desire to do something really important and thoroughly was really obvious, while Ford and I were unfortunately clearly less passionate. Their knowledge of the Middle East will definately be essential for our paper and presentation and I know we'll be much better off because of it. (Their idealism when talking about the Egyptian elections and movement toward democracy was refreshing compared to the cynicism Ford and I shared about what it meant). I think what was really fundamentally different about our approaches was that both Ford and I were looking for what could be analyzed well in a 5 page paper, thinking more about the logistics than about interest, and they were focusing first on big ideas that excite them. I guess I'm about to contradict the point I thought I would originally make, because the more I think about this the more I think that I could have the exact same differences in groups in America ( group projects are in general frustrating) and think nothing of it, but now that I'm here I start to wonder about things like educational psychology and the methodology for how we were taught, and whether or not the other groups will face similar problems or if other differences will appear. Leave it to me to be more interested in the sociology behind the group projects than the actual project itself! I think I'm going to be asking people questions about this.

It was also interesting to note how both of the girls were really interested in studying the US's affect on the elections or other aspects, while I felt a little "ihh" on the subject. Oh we self-centered Americans- we just take for granted that we have tremendous affects on other countries without really being concerned about it. I remember talking to my friend Anna about her experience in Mexico this summer and her sharing that the Mexicans (at least the ones she was working with on the border) were so concerned with all of America's policies because they had such an enormous effect. As Egypt is at least the #2 (maybe now #1) recipient of U.S. foreign aid, they clearly also feel pretty immediately the strength of American policy. I guess we are one of the few countries of the world that can largely ignore how other nations exert influence over us and what that means about our sovereignty or future, etc. The Cold War and growing interest in China come the closest, I suppose, to us really noticing and evaluating what each move by the other will mean for us. Any thoughts? Anyone studying foreign educational methodology or globalization or national identity want to chime in? : ) I know I have lots of readers who were around during the Cold War, this baby didn't even know that the wall was falling when it fell. Maybe some of you could share about the thoughts and attitudes you had or observed regarding the influence of the Soviet Union.


Well, that was a sprawling entry, wasn't it? Feel free to comment- I really would like there to be more interaction and discussion- I often feel like I'm just as bad at sharing or explaining how Americans view the Middle East as how Middle Easterners view America because I haven't been around for so many of the events that have really shaped American attitudes.

Just because I've gotten all philosophical I have to ask one more question, just to put it out there. I would like to know, after having read The Autobiography of Malcom X (incredible book, by the way, particularly inspiring for the ability for the heart and mind to change ) how the movement known as Nation of Islam helped shape contemporary American opinion of global Islam. I should do some more research on this.

That was so long! Sorry!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Group projects are the worst and I will never assign them as a professor. There are too many collective action problems present.

The goal of any group project should be to get in and out with the least amount of stress and fighting. The subject matter is secondary to that goal.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did an awesome project about the Nation of Islam in my American Studies class last year! While I was researching I read a bit of the Autobiography of Malcolm X and I ended up being a big fan of him. Yeah, he definitely did inspire the members of the Nation of Islam to be violent, I am not confused about that after my project, but everything makes sense and his motivations were clear and practical. I must add, however, that my research ended when he split from the Nation of Islam. But sorry, I don't think I can help you with your question, because I know next to nothing about Islam besides what I've read in the paper and learned from this Black Muslim project. My friend Dena is from Chicago and when she had to do a project about Islam in high school she was one of only two people who wrote about Islam, not the Nation of Islam. I think definitely Malcolm X's association with violence and his association with the Nation of Islam, even though they were not a part of his life at the same time and he was kicked out of the Nation of Islam because of his encouragement of violence, contribute to American public opinion. And that's as far as I'll go on the subject.
Okay, that's Annie's rambling response to your rambling and wonderful post.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Group projects should be collectively eliminated from any and all curriculum everywhere, globally. You always have one to two jerkasses that want to either A) constantly detract from the group or B) coast and do nothing. Hose-Ers.

Anyway, the Soviet Union. I miss the Evil Empire. I miss it a lot. I have to do a great deal of studying of the USSR for security studies and, although, I can't tell you about cultural aspects (other than we were batshit afraid of everything they did. See: Sputnik), our military was and still is to an extent geared wholly around the purpose of engaging the Soviet Union in the air, sea and on the ground.

The mindset of any high-ranking (read: old) military official is still "The damn commies are gonna get us!" It was THAT ingrained in our culture that parts of our military are STILL worried about nuking the Russians, despite the end of the Cold War and all the hugging.

It's like if you say to anyone over the age of 70 that Eisenhower was a pansy, you'll get punched in the face. Cold War fear is so ingrained in the older generation that no amount of facts will dilute it.

That was probably extraordinarily unhelpful. I blame it on the fact that I'm trying to do psychology in politics today and my brain hurts.

Hope you're having a blast! Bring back dead Pharaohs!

-Chris Tucker

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have scoured the sands of Egypt and toured the towering pillars of Karnak looking for you! Meet me under the nose of the sphinx at Midnight. Bring two figs and a scroll of papyrus. I'll bring the motown.

Love,

Haley. I mean, Omarina?

6:58 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Annie-

I always love your posts! I admired Mr. X more for his end-of-life changing conceptions of what Islam was like around the world and how it had been really contorted by the people he followed. When he came back from undergoing the Hajj he began preaching a different message, one that reflected peace much more than hate (I do want to put in a disclaimer on not having done much independent study of Malcolm X- I do realize autobiographies are always biased, naturally : ) ) It was so powerful to me first as a 8th grader and then later that someone with that much fame and stigma could really change so fundamentally.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

To my lovely Chris-

Please can you write a book that is the history of the world as only nerdy pop culture lovin kids could read it? : ) Your explanations are always the best.

You can be in my group for the anti-group project. : )

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home