Saturday, November 05, 2005

From Beirut to Cairo (Thomas Friedman thinks I´m lame)

This week has been such a whirlwind that I probably won´t be able to post about it until after mom has left and midterms are all handed in, but just wanted to let those who were worried that we are back from Lebanon all in one piece. I don´t think even my ambitious history-explaining personality can properly handle the Lebanese civil war and brevity in the same context : ) but it was incredible how the country has developed since then. It is one of the most beautiful countries I have been in and one of the first that I really felt like I have to go back for longer. Wow. From the real! live! Cedars of Lebanon in the north and Jesus and Mary things in every store to the Hezbollah shirts for sale and huge posters of matyrs in the south to the glitzy, ritzy downtown area of Beirut, Lebanon is a fascinating and diverse and complex place. We felt completely safe the entire time, marveling at what I believe to be the most attractive army in the world, and feeling much more relaxed than the intensity of Cairo. 1.5 million (Beirut) seems so manegeable and wonderful compared to estimates between 12 and 22 million in Cairo. Especially after we were used as part of a police/corruption dealie at the airport on the way back. : ) Cairo is still home, and I prefer it´s street vendors and broken sidewalks and familiarity to Beirut, but I was attracted alot by Beirut´s ease and freedom, and certainly by the countryside. Of course I knew I missed fall, but I had no idea how much I needed fall until I got deciduous trees and rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and cool weather and mountains. It was such a blessing. More later, and hopefully my mom will concede to writing a bit more before she leaves early, early Monday morning. I´m skipping more class tomorrow and we are heading out to the pyramids and last-minute shopping- the time with her has absolutely flown by but it has all been great. I like her getting to see how I live here (though several times today I was yelling and being mean at policemen and taxi drivers... maybe not the best "look mom!" moments.) I was proud of myself though because the Lebanese arabic is, again, very different, and many times I couldn´t be understood... but I promise you I was understood today, especially when I used my final, parting line of " This is Egypt... money!" A mental Bam! note was taken, though the officer just smiled that look of "kid, you have no idea."And it´s true.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, we haven't been getting much of an autumn here. It's going to be 80 all week.

I hope your package gets there before you leave!

-Max

7:06 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

awwwww Max you are the best! I hope so too! 80 all week??? In November??? Georgia is stupid. I´m really sorry - I am not that mean to wish an anti-fall on you just because I don´t get one. Are you going to Spoon? If you do, will you dance extra hard for me? : )

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home