Friday, December 09, 2005

You are lonely! You are lonely!

It's 2:30 am and I don't feel like sleeping. I'm listening to random Christmas music and Norwegian violin Beatles covers and old country music and quiet winter music. As much as I love all of this Arabic music sometimes you need a retreat into the cozy world. I was thinking a lot about Arabic music today, though, sharing memories with Jayanthi of our first introductions to it. I really only have two little memories, but I like them.

1) Fayruz: "Habaitik bi Saif, Habaitik be Shitii" First semester Arabic with my Syrian professor and we're working through "Al-Kitaab" (The Book) and there is a section with the words of this song and a section of it on our cds. Fayruz is probably the most famous Lebanese singers ever and this song is one of her most famous. The way she says "Habibi" (My love.... and also ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED in every Arabic song ever) makes you know why it word exists. Oh man. I wish I had a recording of my class being forced to sing along... a group of embarrassed college kids singing about how "I love you in the summer and I love you in the winter."

2) The radio station that I talk about all the time (wuog.org) has maybe 4 or 5 cds in the Middle Eastern music section and they are all Turkish, I think, except for the Putumayo Groove Arabic disc (until someone stole the cd! jerks!). On said Putumayo Groove disc there is a song called "Intil Waheeda." My friend Jeremy and I played it on air and listened to it in the car on the way to teaching English several times and I was so, so, so excited because I thought I knew what it meant. I thought he was saying "You are lonely.... You are lonely" and so of course the rest had to be about how "Obviously habibi you need to be with me." Unfortunately "wahda" means "lonely" and "waheeda" means "the only one." I was foiled this time, but at least I have a great idea for the next big Arabic pop hit.

You are lonely! You are lonely!
Oh my habibiti
I see you from far away
and I know you want to be with me
So I can be your habibi
Oh my habibiti
You are lonely! You are lonely!
Do you want to be my habibiti?
Because, habibiti, I am your habibi

If you think this is bad you should read translated pop lyrics. My love for Arabic music is in no way related to the content of the songs : ) I just like to dance!

I think I'll go back to soul now....

"Baby don't you worry about your [woah]man... I'll be coming home as soon as I can"

5 Comments:

Blogger 3A Gurl said...

aiwa aiwa anaa bahebbak
walakin anta ba3eed jiddan
yalla huna habibi yalla

11:23 PM  
Blogger 3A Gurl said...

oops...made a small mistake - second line should read 'walakin anti ba3eed jiddan'

:)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

aiwa!

bizopt kidda : )

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

an addentum to you: you should read kahlil Gibran, another famous poet, philosopher...may be his is not your genre of readings.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do youhappen to hav a copy of the original Arabic lyrics for Intil Waheeda?

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home